A & A art and architecture spacer courtauld institute of art spacer
login
quick search advanced search browse temp folder
 SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Robert Cumming's Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your own eyes and opinions
74%
 74%  [ 20 ]
The views of the curator
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 27

Robert Cumming
A&A Author
A&A Author

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Curators vs. Public - who's right? Reply with quote

The subject of this month’s poll was prompted by an email received from Peter Smith of London who writes:

"Am I the only one who finds museum curators who write the notice boards for displays and exhibitions too often unbearably arrogant and self-satisfied?

As someone whose interest in art is purely for personal enjoyment, I’m either amused or enraged by the pomposity with which they (the curators) say “what we see here is ….” or “what the artist expresses is ….”

“We”? Who is this “we”? Very often I read these notices and think: “Don’t include me please! I see nothing of the sort. What I see is completely different”. But is my view valued, or even seen as equally correct? Does it count for anything?

I grant you that maybe the curator is trying to summarise what the artist is trying to express, but often (and especially in contemporary art) the artist’s attempt is, for me, a lamentable or courageous failure. Will these curators admit to the possibility of failure? Never!

So could we have a bit of curatorial humility please?"

So what do you think? Are those members of the public who gain great enjoyment through art but are not afraid to draw their own conclusions about what they see any match for the curatorial elite? Or is this a members-only club?
richard Stephens
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: curators vs public Reply with quote

It doesn't seem unreasonable for curators to consider the items they're describing to be successful works of art. After all, curators may themselves have purchased the work, or else chosen it for display from another institution. Why would they do this if they thought of them as 'lamentable or courageous failures'?

It would also make language rather laborious if everyone had to preface everything they say with "What I'm about to say is merely my opinion..."

Surely it is the job of a curator to guide - for those who wish to be guided - the viewer through a display / exhibition?

Having said all this, curators' commentaries can often seem rather remote from the viewer's everyday vocabulary, the viewer's motivations for visiting the gallery, the viewer's prior knowledge of artists and art concepts.

I think very many people lack self-confidence when visiting museums. If not, why would your correspondent become enraged by the otherwise irrelevant comments of a faceless curator, which one can very easily simply walk past? Wny need anyone question whether their own views are 'equally correct' or valued, when of course they are? The answer is: because visitors do want guidance, but they feel rather sensitive, in the rarefied atmosphere of a museum, about being talked down to.

Richard Stephens, London
Situk Daneworld
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so many words
i`d say i woul just choose a curator, as he\she can point me to the things i`d never mention. and if i want to spend more time, looking at the art...i will come to the place again.
that is it i think.
John Daughtry
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally agree with Peter, whom I btw know personally

Are those members of the public who gain great enjoyment through art but are not afraid to draw their own conclusions about what they see any match for the curatorial elite?

of course not, it should be public with it's every inch

I'm a young enterpreneur and it's my first startup on the UK dating market: http://hotsexclub.co.uk
Chicana gauvin
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Situk!!! I would like to choose a curator. If I don't know anything he will show me and explain me what I need. At any time I can come thare again and I enjoy art again!!
sam jacob
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i totally agree with you. Curator is very important as he will be able to help you with thing u dint know.
Mike Smith
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art lovers really don't need to be told what's what and are more than capable of making up their own mind.

I'm an entrepreneur and art lover working for http://www.local-sex-dating.com/home/sex-dating/
Steve Jones
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I have to admit that it is a members only club but i think that it should go public myself. Only time will tell. Thanks for the great topic that you have posted, no wonder quite a few people have replied to this thread, it's no surprise.

I do love art as it is a great way to express yourself in a unique kind of way. Some drawings and paintings really get your attention and mean something special to you.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Steve Jones on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dave smith
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Paintings Reply with quote

Yes, i totally agree. Paintings and arcchitecture area great thing in life, and should be appreciated by all! http://sexinuk.dating-central.net/Member/Landing/Index.asp
mike jones
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a creator in this field would be extremely helpful, and overall in the architecture and paintings arena.

http://www.quickweightloss.webeden.co.uk
jack robinson
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Curators vs. Public Reply with quote

yes, I’ll chose curators because she or he only can teach me what i need t do and how to do and curators are extremely helpful in this field and with the help of them you can enhance your performance too.....

basically i am from IT Sector and i start firstly with http://www.realinfoware.com and i feel proud to be myself a small part of this sector...
John Davis
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agreet with Peter.

Curator has a great help in this field.

I love arts, architecture and dating. It's my first startup company in the uk dating market http://www.shagarena.com/
Laura Ashcroft
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He he i have to agree with Peter too, those museum curators can be sooo anoying some times! Very Happy

Laura http://www.bigdaddycoupons.com | http://www.marijuanaseedsdiscount.com

Last edited by Laura Ashcroft on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
dave smith
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Art Reply with quote

I think every painting and all aspects of art should be cherished.

www.topix.com/forum/uk/derby/T6JE0SCR1GAP9OCC5

Last edited by dave smith on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
dave smith
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything the OP has stated is correct. People should show their appreciation in this field.

www.topix.com/forum/uk/bristol/TQLV8KOFVII650HNV
Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Robert Cumming's Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: