SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 

Choirs (building divisions), Abbey church

Garner, Thomas

Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Architecture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A&A Editor
A&A Editor
A&A Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Discuss.
Giles O'Bryen
Occasional contributor
Occasional contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Latin Mass Reply with quote

I went to school at Downside and spent many a weary hour in this place. Mass was sung in Latin, and it certainly did go on: an hour and three-quarters if you got one of the younger monks ( the older ones were better at rattling it off). When the Abbot came to mass he sat in that throne on the left, partially obscured by vast clouds of incense and with a monk holding a parasol over his head.
Wynn Wheldon
Occasional contributor
Occasional contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: abbots and parasols Reply with quote

if anyone is going to have a parasol held over his head, i do believe it should be an abbot. perhaps someone might be able to tell us if this practise is still common. an hour and three-quarters does seem a preposterously long service, especially given how quickly Our Lord created Heaven and Earth, etc. I have always reckoned 40-45 mins as tops unless the sermon was particularly good (rather rare circumstance, that, although there was terrific old boy called Robb who used to preach at our local church. i don't recall very much of what he said, but whatever it was, he said it jolly well) - and that should include four hymns, threee of which should be well-known. i attended a morning mass in france this christmas which contained no hymns whatsoever, and at one point i found my hand grabbed by a little peasant woman and my body jerked into the nave where i had to stand having my fingers crushed as we recited (I believe - ho ho) the creed in french. the church had been recently redecorated and there was on overwhelming scent of fresh emulsion. this poor anglican was quite overcome and i had to retire before communion. er, where was I? ah yes, parasols and abbots. sounds like the title of a muriel spark novel. Cool
Jack Knowle
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This building looks sensational, according to me, it is one of the most beautiful buildings in recent years.
Semo Nit
New contributor
New contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. There are many churches in Poland that look amazing and breathtaking.
Reply to topic    www.artandarchitecture.org.uk Forum Index -> Architecture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: