Matthew Boulton (1728-1809)
William Chambers (1723 - 1796)
Clock with case of ormolu, glass, enamel and Derbyshire spar
Width: 21 cm; Length: 27.5 cm; Height: 47 cm;
Inscription, movement signed (erroneously - presumably for "John Whitehurst,
Derby"), John Whitehouse, Derby //
Acquisition (source, method, date)
Hotspur Ltd, London; purchase & grant aid; 1991
About this work
This clock-case is a version of the clock Boulton originally made for King George III to a design by William Chambers, now at Windsor Castle. A savvy businessman, Boulton was keen to profit from a good design. Without seeking the King’s (or Chambers’s) approval, he re-used the moulds and planned to sell this new clock at auction. Identical in most aspects, the precious Derbyshire Blue John stone on the original King’s Clock, has been replaced here by panels of blue and gold glass.
Bought in 1991 by the Samuel Courtauld Trust with the assistance of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, National Art Collections Fund, Wolfson Foundation, Pilgrim Trust, Monument Trust, Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths and the MLA/V&A Purchase Grant Fund.
(Permanent collection label)
This work is on display
While we make every effort to ensure this information
is correct, displays are subject to last-minute changes.
Copyright: © The Samuel Courtauld Trust, The Courtauld Gallery, London