Queens Road Station, Bayswater
Walter Richard Sickert (1860-1942)
Oil on canvas
Height: 62.3 cm ( canvas ); Width: 73 cm ( canvas ); Width: 91.8 cm ( frame ); Height: 79.1 cm ( frame ); Depth: 5 cm ( frame );
Signed, bottom right & recto, Sickert
Fry, Roger Eliot; bequest; 1935
About this work
Queens Road station (now Bayswater station) was one of the first underground stations in London. This painting shows a view across the tracks to a platform where a man is seated in a recess. The diamond-shaped platform sign was a short-lived prototype of the famous bar and circle design, introduced shortly after Sickert completed the canvas. The name 'Whiteley’s' refers to the well-known department store just north of the station. For contemporaries, Whiteley’s was synonymous with the sensational murder of the store’s founder in 1907. Sickert’s arrangement of the station’s signs and advertisements into patterns of form and colour particularly appealed to Roger Fry who bought this painting in 1919 for his London home.
(Permanent collection label)
This work is not on display
While we make every effort to ensure this information
is correct, displays are subject to last-minute changes.
Copyright: © The Samuel Courtauld Trust, The Courtauld Gallery, London