Old Gateway, Charterhouse
William Capon (1757-1827)
Graphite, watercolour, ink (black and brown washes), bodycolour (grey, green, blue), pen and ink (brown and blue) on paper (off-white wove)
Height: 34.3 cm; Width: 25.0 cm;
Signed in graphite, verso, W Capon /
Charterhouse / old Gateway / £25
Acquisition (source, method, date)
Spooner, William (Mr and Mrs); bequest; 1967
About this work
Trained as an architect and scene painter, William Capon’s antiquarian knowledge and skill as an architectural draughtsman enabled him to produce historically accurate, if somewhat old-fashioned topographical views. By Capon’s time the Charterhouse, a Carthusian priory founded near Smithfield in 1371, was both a school and a hospital for pensioners. The arched medieval gateway and figures here take centre stage, but it is the immaculately rendered brickwork and blue-fenced tree that capture the attention.
(Permanent collection label)
This work is not on display
While we make every effort to ensure this information
is correct, displays are subject to last-minute changes.
Copyright: © The Samuel Courtauld Trust, The Courtauld Gallery, London